Ok so it’s been a while since I’ve had a fit tip wouldn’t ya say?
This one coming at ya today is a tough one. This whole post is completely inspired by a CRAZY video I came across on Facebook, which you can find here.
Basically, I am going to sum up the video for you if you haven’t seen it yet & reiterate it all if you have seen, because quite frankly I am SCARD people. I will never ever be putting certain foods in my mouth ever again & am cutting things out of my diet which is a HUGE change for me!
Foods I used to eat monthly or even weekly have actually been harming me more than I ever knew. I think it’s super important I share with everyone I care about (especially you cutie readers) the truth about some foods.
First things first, we are slamming PRESERVATIVES.
Preservatives are packed into foods that companies want to have a longer “shelve life”. Barf.
You can find these sneaky preservatives (some & not limited to) frozen foods, fruit, PICKLES (!!), milk, canned food, snack foods, yogurt, ice cream, baked goods etc.
SO BEWARE: The worst-of-the-worst preservatives have names of the following & here is what they do to your body that is so gnarly & sad:
- Butylated Hydroxyanisole: This preservative is mainly found in foods that have a high fat content such as meats, butters, snack foods and even beer. Testing on this preservative have been inconclusive thus far, but have shown that high doses do promote tumor cell growth in animals.
- Sodium Nitrate: How this is viewed as safe is beyond me, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says that high levels of exposure are linked to increased cancer rate and may be related to brain tumors, leukemia and nose and throat tumors in children. Sodium Nitrate is common in packaged deli meats and smoked meat such as bacon and jerky
- Ammonium Sulfate: Ammonium is often used as a cleaning products and the labels have warnings on digestion, but this product is often used to make many breads! Large amounts of consumptions can lead to irritation of the gastrointestinal tract, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. So be sure to look at the ingredients when you buy your next loaf of bread!
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG): MSG is an amino acid often found in asian foods, potato chips, salad dressing and frozen entrees. It is linked to causing headaches and nausea.
- Potassium Bromate: This ingredient is a little more rare, but is one of the most dangerous out there so be sure to check the label for this one. In fact, in California bread makers that use Potassium Bromate are required to put a cancer label on their products!
- Aspartame: Known as the most dangerous substance added to foods. There are many side effects that are linked to consuming large amounts of Aspartame including: migraines, nausea, muscle spasms, insomnia, heart palpitations, diabetes and even memory loss. This product is often found in common sodas and dried good. They even put this in many “diet” foods, so be sure to check the ingredient labels when you think you are purchasing a healthy product.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup: The most common artificial sweetener. It is found in many sodas and flavored drinks, but it is also found in many condiments in the fast food industry. High Fructose Corn Syrup is linked to obesity.
- Olestra: Found mainly in baked and fried foods.Olestra is linked to gastrointestinal disease, diarrhea, gas, cramps, bleeding and incontinence
- Brominated Vegetable Oil: Is found mainly in citrus flavored drinks and soda. It is known to damage the liver, testicles, thyroid, heart and kidneys
- Shortening/Partially Hydrogenated Oil: This is linked to obesity and clogging of arteries, but on top of that it also increases risk of metabolic syndrome.
So now that you know all of the ingredients to watch out for when you are about to put something in your mouth, right? These ingredients basically just scream “CANCER”!
Reading about all the different kind of preservatives was really insane to me. Especially HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, according to Dr. Amy Lee, when you eat HFCS you are basically just putting FAT into your abdomen because our body doesn’t recognize this preservative (& many others). When our body doesn’t recognize something we eat the only process it can do is turn it into fat. So run as far away as possible from HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP fit babes!
Another awful thing to hear was the truth about ASPARTAME. This was heartbreaking because aspartame is one of the leading ingredients in my favorite drinks: Coke zero & most sparkling waters. After I took these out of my diet my frequent headaches started going away. 1 Win, 1 Lose (lol)!
The next scary food that’s slowly killing us: Wheat bread.
According to Dr. Amy Lee, wheat bread is just WHITE bread that has been DYED a brown color to make it “look” healthier. “The truth is, whole wheat is full of sugar, whether in bread or pasta form or hiding out as an ingredient in canned soup or frozen dinners, could be sending you on a path toward type 2 diabetes. Get this: Eating two slices of whole wheat bread could spike your blood sugar levels more than if you’d eat two tablespoons of pure sugar!” Also, “According to Dr. Davis, wheat ages your skin, including wrinkles and lost elasticity, due to the formation of advanced glycation end products, nasty muck that accumulates and ages us as it elevates our blood sugar.”
Wheat bread is a gross disguise to be healthy when it is TRULY the opposite.
Obviously wheat is in A LOT. What I’ve done to stay away from it is look for wheat free breads at the store (which have been amazing), i’m eating more beans, rice & lentil pasta in order to stay away from wheat products as best I can. Of course I still have wheat here & there but i’m slowly but surely cutting it out of my diet completely. Results? I’m feeling better than ever & just really in charge of my life and body knowing what is REALLY in certain foods and the effect it can have on me.
The last thing Dr. Amy Lee warns about is yogurt!! Most healthy gals and guys already know to stay away from sugary yogurts but I just want to remind ya!
Yogurt with more than 20g of sugar should NOT be added to your cart with good intentions in mind (brands like Go-gurt Dr. Lee warns are really bad). Now this is only if you are shopping for yogurt as an everyday health food– if you are using this sugary yogurt as a dessert, knowing whats inside, then by all means, do your thing!
When it comes to yogurt, making your own at home is the BEST.
If you are a yogurt lover like me just make sure its no more than 20g of sugar (I like to shoot for less than 12g) & organic GREEK. Favorites: chobani, oikos, light & fit. 🙂
I hope you guys enjoyed this fit tip of the week!
Ain’t no thing?
Let’s chat !!